Noah Misch <n...@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 01:48:02PM +0100, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>> CREATE TABLE pt (
>> id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
>>
>> CREATE TABLE ft (
>> id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
>> pids INTEGER[] REFERENCES pt,

> I'm assuming the SQL spec says nothing about a feature like this?

I'm pretty certain that the SQL spec flat out forbids this.

The least we could do is invent some non-spec syntax that makes the
intention clear, rather than having the system assume that an error case
was intended to mean something else.  Maybe

        pids INTEGER[] ARRAY REFERENCES pt,

or something like that.  (ARRAY is a fully reserved word already,
so I think this syntax should work, but I've not tried it.)

BTW, has anyone thought through whether this is a sane idea at all?
It seems to me to be full of cases that will require rather arbitrary
decisions, like whether ON DELETE CASCADE should involve deleting the
whole row or just one array element.