On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Andres Freund <and...@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On Friday, January 06, 2012 08:45:45 PM Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 06.01.2012 20:26, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> > The following patch (v4) introduces a new WAL record type that writes
>> > backup blocks for the first hint on a block in any checkpoint that has
>> > not previously been changed. IMHO this fixes the torn page problem
>> > correctly, though at some additional loss of performance but not the
>> > total catastrophe some people had imagined. Specifically we don't need
>> > to log anywhere near 100% of hint bit settings, much more like 20-30%
>> > (estimated not measured).
>>
>> How's that going to work during recovery? Like in hot standby.
> How's recovery a problem? Unless I miss something that doesn't actually
> introduce a new possibility to transport hint bits to the standby (think
> fpw's). A new transport will obviously increase traffic but ...

The standby can set hint bits locally that weren't set on the data it
received from the master.  This will require rechecksumming and
rewriting the page, but obviously we can't write the WAL records
needed to protect those writes during recovery.  So a crash could
create a torn page, invalidating the checksum.

Ignoring checksum errors during Hot Standby operation doesn't fix it,
either, because eventually you might want to promote the standby, and
the checksum will still be invalid.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company