On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> wrote:
> On tis, 2012-02-28 at 11:00 -0800, Daniel Farina wrote:
>> I'd really like to support libraries (C or otherwise) of multiple
>> versions at the same time, when the underlying library permits.
>
> What's preventing you from doing that now?  You need to name all the
> symbols differently, of course.

That's the problem: not really practical in a wider ecosystem of C
libraries, especially if the library produces multiple versions.  (Or,
not practical unless someone writes some credible
symbol-version-mangling-magic)

But is it unsurmountable? -- dlsym returns a function pointer, and one
would build up the operator table for the version of the extension at
hand, so one might have ltree "version 1.01" and ltree "version 2.3"
fields in the same database.

--
fdr