On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Magnus Hagander <mag...@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:29 AM, Robert Haas <rh...@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> New SQL functons pg_backup_in_progress() and pg_backup_start_time()
>>
>> Darold Gilles, reviewed by Gabriele Bartolini and others, rebased by
>> Marco Nenciarini.  Stylistic cleanup and OID fixes by me.
>
> How well is the term "on-line exclusive backup" really settled with
> people? I wonder if we need to add a specific note to the docs saying
> that the function doesn't consider streaming base backups at all, and
> that one should refer to pg_stat_replication for info about those? Or
> really, should the function be pg_exclusive_backup_in_progress()
> perhaps?

Well, if we think that the term "exclusive backup" is not going to be
easily comprehensible, then sticking that into the function name isn't
going to help us much.  I think that's just wordiness for the sake of
being wordy.  I do agree that we could probably improve the clarity of
the documentation along the lines you suggest.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company