On 20 June 2012 08:35, Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I expect it would be fine to have a tool that pulls LCRs out of WAL to
>> prepare that to be sent to remote locations.  Is that what you have in
>> mind?
>
> Yes.  I think it should be possible to generate LCRs from WAL, but I
> think that the on-the-wire format for LCRs should be different from
> the WAL format.  Trying to use the same format for both things seems
> like an unpleasant straightjacket.

You're confusing things here.

Yes, we can use a different on-the-wire format. No problem.

As I've already said, the information needs to be in WAL first before
we can put it into LCRs, so the "don't use same format" argument is
not relevant as to why the info must be on the WAL record in the first
place. And as said elsewhere, doing that does not cause problems in
any of these areas:  wal bloat, performance, long term restrictions on
numbers of nodeids, as has so far been claimed on this thread.