On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 11:36:41AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I've never thought of it in terms of "friction", but I think that term
> makes a lot of sense. And it sums up pretty much one of the things
> that I find the most annoying with the commitfest app - in the end it
> boils down to the same thing. I find it annoying that whenever someone
> posts a new review or new comments, one has to *also* go into the CF
> app and add them there. Which leads to a lot of friction, which in
> turn leads to people not actually putting their comments in there,
> which decreases the value of the tool.
>
> Don't get me wrong - the cf app is a huge step up from no app at all.
> But it's just not done yet.

Well, if that's the issue then there are well known solutions to that.
Give each commitfest entry a tag, say, CF#8475 and add a bot to the
mail server that examines each email for this tag and if found adds it
to the CF app.

This could then easily track commit messages, emails on mailing list
and even bug reports.  (For example, someone replys to a bug report
with "See CF#8484" and then a reference to the bug thread gets pushed
into the CF app.)

It's also a searchable identifier, which is also useful for google.

We do this at my work, it's a very low barrier method of linking
different systems.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <klep...@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer