On 07/09/2012 12:02 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

Hackers,

So I want to repeat this because I think we are conflating several uses
for a "bug tracker" which aren't the same, and which really need to be
dealt with seperately.

-- Better CF App: to track feature submissions, discussion, revisions
and reviews.

-- Bug Submitter: easy-access way for users to submit bugs and check on
their status later.

===============

-- Fix-Bug-Later Bug Tracker: a place to track bugs which are not
immediately fixable due to complexity/breakage/external
dependancies/priority.

-- Fix Tracker: way for users to search if a particular issue was fixed,
and what release it was fixed in.

===============

These two should be able to be the same piece of sotware.

-- Testing Tracker: tool for user-testers to submit test reports for
development and beta releases.

This might be able to be the same piece as fix-bug-later... with a different front end.

The above are 5 different tasks with different requirements, and it's
far from clear that we want a new tool for all of them (or even want all
of them).

Not sure how to handle the first two. Bug submission is always a pita and although we could use the fix-bug-later app, it would clutter it as we were trying to determine real bugs vs user error.

Sincerely,

jD

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579