On 18.07.2012 02:48, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
On 17 July 2012 23:56, Tom Lane<t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>  wrote:
This implies that nobody has done pull-the-plug testing on either HEAD
or 9.2 since the checkpointer split went in (2011-11-01), because even
a modicum of such testing would surely have shown that we're failing to
fsync a significant fraction of our write traffic.

Furthermore, I would say that any performance testing done since then,
if it wasn't looking at purely read-only scenarios, isn't worth the
electrons it's written on.  In particular, any performance gain that
anybody might have attributed to the checkpointer splitup is very
probably hogwash.

This is not giving me a warm feeling about our testing practices.

The checkpointer slit-up was not justified as a performance
optimisation so much as a re-factoring effort that might have some
concomitant performance benefits.

Agreed, but it means that we need to re-run the tests that were done to make sure the extra fsync-request traffic is not causing a performance regression, http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-10/msg01321.php.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas