On 7/30/2012 8:11 PM, Leon Smith wrote:
One other possibility,  Tom Lane fretted ever so slightly about the use
of malloc/free per row... what about instead of PQsetSingleRowMode,  you
have PQsetChunkedRowMode that takes a chunkSize parameter.   A chunkSize
<= 0 would be equivalent to what we have today,   a chunkSize of 1 means
you get what you have from PQsetSingleRowMode,  and larger chunkSizes
would wait until n rows have been received before returning them all in
a single result.      I don't know that this suggestion is all that
important, but it seems like an obvious generalization that might
possibly be useful.

It is questionable if that actually adds any useful functionality. Any "collecting" of multiple rows will only run the risk to stall receiving the following rows while processing this batch. Processing each row as soon as it is available will ensure making most use network buffers.

Collecting multiple rows, like in the FETCH command for cursors does, makes sense when each batch introduces a network round trip, like for the FETCH command. But does it make any sense for a true streaming mode, like what is discussed here?

Jan