On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:01 AM, Etsuro Fujita
<fujita.ets...@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> The following is a comment at fileGetForeignPaths() in contrib/file_fdw.c:
>
>     /*
>      * If data file was sorted, and we knew it somehow, we could insert
>      * appropriate pathkeys into the ForeignPath node to tell the planner
>      * that.
>      */
>
> To do this, I would like to propose new generic options for a file_fdw foreign
> table to specify the sortedness of a data file.  While it is best to allow to
> specify the sortedness on multiple columns, the current interface for the
> generic options dose not seems to be suitable for doing it.  As a compromise,
> would like to propose single-column sortedness options and insert appropriate
> pathkeys into the ForeignPath node based on these information:

I am not sure it is a good idea to complicate file_fdw with frammishes
of marginal utility.  I guess I tend to view things like file_fdw as a
mechanism for getting the data into the database, not necessarily
something that you actually want to keep your data in permanently and
run complex queries against.  It seems like that's the direction we're
headed in here - statistics, indexing, etc.  I am all in favor of
having some kind of pluggable storage engine as an alternative to our
heap, but I'm not sure a flat-file is a good choice.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company