On 09/05/2012 03:36 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
OK, I now have a complete handle on what's going on here, and withdraw
my earlier statement that I am confused on this issue :-)
First, one lot of CRs is produced because the pg_upgrade test script
calls pg_dumpall without -f and redirects that to a file, which Windows
kindly opens on text mode. The solution to that is to change the test
script to use pg_dumpall -f instead.
The second lot of CRs (seen in the second dump file in the diff i
previously sent) is produced by pg_upgrade writing its output in text
mode, which turns LF into CRLF. The solution to that is the patch to
dump.c I posted, which, as Bruce observed, does the same thing that
pg_dumpall does. Arguably, it should also open the input file in binary,
so that if there really is a CRLF in the dump it won't be eaten.
+1 to all the above.  Do we want to risk squeezing this into 9.2.0,
or is it better to delay?

When we (particularly Bruce and I) didn't fully understand what was happening there was a good argument for delay, but now I'd rather put it in so we can remove the error-hiding hack in the test script. I think the risk is minimal.

cheers

andrew