On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 1:14 AM, Satoshi Nagayasu <sn...@uptime.jp> wrote:

> >> Well, that was pgfoundry, and it didn't work out.
> >
> > I'm not sure that is quite analogous to what was being proposed.
> > I read it as more of "let's package a bunch of these small utilities
> > together into a single project", such that installing one installs them
> > all (e.g. aptitude install pg_tools), and they all have a single bug
> > tracker, etc. That tracker could be github, of course.
>
> Exactly --- I do not care the SCM system though. :)

The bug tracker is going to be a mess if it has to manage 100 subprojects,
knowing that each of them is strictly independant.
Maintainers are also different people for each tool.

> > I'm not convinced of the merit of that plan, but that's an alternative
> > interpretation that doesn't involve our beloved pgfoundry. :)
>
> For example, xlogdump had not been maintained for 5 years when
> I picked it up last year. And the latest pg_filedump that supports 9.2
> has not been released yet. pg_reorg as well.
>
> If those tools are in a single project, it would be easier to keep
> attention on it. Then, developers can easily build *all of them*
> at once, fix them, and post any patch on the single mailing list.
> Actually, it would save developers from waisting their time.
>
> From my viewpoint, it's not just a SCM or distributing issue.
> It's about how to survive for such small projects around the core
> even if these could not come in the core.

The package manager system could be  easily pgxn. It is already designed
for that.
For development what you are looking for here is something that github
could perfectly manage.
As proposed by Masahiko, a single organization grouping all the tools (one
repository per tool) would be enough. Please note that github can also host
documentation. Bug tracker would be tool-dedicated in this case.
--
Michael Paquier
http://michael.otacoo.com