Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
> On 09/29/2012 11:49 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Is it still broken after Alvaro added the alternate expected file, and
>> if so why?  I don't see a reason that this should be failing only there.
>> I also note that it seems to be passing fine on buildfarm members other
>> than pitta.

> Well, that's a very good point. chough is actually the same machine,
> doing an MSVC build. So why would this test pass there? I'll investigate
> a bit more. Here's what the regression diffs look like when run from
> pg_upgrade on pitta:

>    ALTER COLLATION alt_coll1 RENAME TO alt_coll3;  -- OK
> ! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll1" for encoding "SQL_ASCII" does not exist

vs

>    ALTER COLLATION alt_coll1 RENAME TO alt_coll3;  -- OK
> ! ERROR:  collation "alt_coll1" for encoding "WIN1252" does not exist

Oh!  So Alvaro's second expected file is assuming that machines without
custom-locale support will only ever be testing with SQL_ASCII encoding.
Wrong.

At this point I'm inclined to think that we should just drop the
collation-specific portions of the alter_generic test.  It looks to me
like making that adequately portable is going to be far more trouble
than it's worth.