On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Magnus Hagander <mag...@hagander.net> wrote:
> Since Simon stirred up a hornets nest suggesting deprecation of a
> number of features, I figured I'd take it one step further and suggest
> removal of some previously deprecated features :)
>
> In particular, we made a couple of changes over sveral releases back
> in the authentication config, that we should perhaps consider
> finishing by removing the old stuff now?
>
> 1. krb5 authentication. We've had gssapi since 8.3 (which means in all
> supported versions). krb5 has been deprecated, also since 8.3. Time to
> remove it?

That seems like a sufficiently long deprecation window, but is gssapi
a full substitute for krb5?  I don't really have a strong opinion on
this, not being a user myself.

> 2. ident-over-unix-sockets was renamed to "peer" in 9.1, with the old
> syntax deprecated but still mapping to the new one. Has it been there
> long enough that we should start throwing an error for ident on unix?

Definitely not.  I see no reason to change that, well, really ever.
But certainly not after just two releases.  It seems to me like a
useful convenience that does no real harm.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company