On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Alexander Korotkov <aekorot...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Alexander Korotkov
> <aekorot...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Actually, I generally dislike path matrix for same reasons. But:
>> 1) Output graphs could contain trigrams which are completely useless for
>> search. For example, for regex /(abcdefgh)*ijk/ we need only "ijk" trigram
>> while graph would contain much more.Path matrix is a method to get rid of
>> all of them.
>> 2) If we use color trigrams then we need some criteria for which color
>> trigrams to expand into trigrams. Simultaneously, we shouldn't allow path
>> from initial state to the final by unexpanded trigrams. It seems much
>> harder to do with graph than with matrix.
>>

> Now, I have an idea about doing some not comprehensive but simple and fast
> simplification of graph. I'm doing experiments now. In case of success we
> could get rid of path matrix.

Attached patch have following changes:
1) Postphone expansion of colors. Graph are building on color trigrams.
2) Selective expansion of color trigrams into simple trigrams. All
non-expanded color trigrams are removed. Such removal leads to union of all
states pairs connected with corresponding arcs. Surely, this must no lead
to union of initial and final states: that could do all previous work
senseless.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.