On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> wrote:
> After reviewing this, it appears to me that this is really just a very
> verbose version of
>
> archive_command = 'sleep $initialsleep; while test $(psql -AtX -c "select
> pg_xlogfile_name(something) < $$%f$$ collate \"C\";") = t; sleep $sleep; done'
>
> I think it might be better to just document this as an example.  I don't
> quite see the overhead of maintaining another tool justified.

Well, obviously I don't entirely agree ;)

Yes, it's a convenience command. Like pg_standby was. And like many
other commands that we maintain as part of *core*, such as createuser,
vacuumdb, etc. Those can all be done with an even *simpler* command
than the one you suggest above. So I don't see that as an argument why
it wouldn't be useful.

Also, the command you suggest above does not work on Windows. You can
probably write a .BAT file to do it for you, but I'm pretty sure it's
impossible to do it as an archive_command there.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/