On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 11:52:17AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Over the weekend, KDE came within a gnat's eyelash of losing *all*
> their authoritative git repos, despite having seemingly-extensive
> redundancy.  Read about it here:
> http://jefferai.org/2013/03/24/too-perfect-a-mirror/
>
> We should think about protecting our own repo a bit better, especially
> after the recent unpleasantness with a bogus forced update.  The idea
> of having clones that are deliberately a day or two behind seems
> attractive ...

I think the lesson here is that a mirror is not a backup. RAID, ZFS,
and version control are all not backups.

Taking a tarball of the entire repository and storing it on a different
machine would solve just about any problem you can think of in this
area.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <klep...@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer