On 3/26/13 6:42 AM, Cédric Villemain wrote:
Le lundi 25 mars 2013 19:35:12, Daniel Farina a écrit :

 > On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner

 > <ste...@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:

 > >> Back when we used CVS for quite a few years I kept 7 day rolling

 > >> snapshots of the CVS repo, against just such a difficulty as this. But

 > >> we seem to be much better organized with infrastructure these days so I

 > >> haven't done that for a long time.

 > > well there is always room for improvement(and for learning from others)

 > > - but I agree that this proposal seems way overkill. If people think we

 > > should keep online "delayed" mirrors we certainly have the resources to

 > > do that on our own if we want though...

 > What about rdiff-backup? I've set it up for personal use years ago

 > (via the handy open source bash script backupninja) years ago and it

 > has a pretty nice no-frills point-in-time, self-expiring, file-based

 > automatic backup program that works well with file synchronization

 > like rsync (I rdiff-backup to one disk and rsync the entire

 > rsync-backup output to another disk). I've enjoyed using it quite a

 > bit during my own personal-computer emergencies and thought the

 > maintenance required from me has been zero, and I have used it from

 > time to time to restore, proving it even works. Hardlinks can be used

 > to tag versions of a file-directory tree recursively relatively

 > compactly.

 > It won't be as compact as a git-aware solution (since git tends to to

 > rewrite entire files, which will confuse file-based incremental

 > differential backup), but the amount of data we are talking about is

 > pretty small, and as far as a lowest-common-denominator tradeoff for

 > use in emergencies, I have to give it a lot of praise. The main

 > advantage it has here is it implements point-in-time recovery

 > operations that easy to use and actually seem to work. That said,

 > I've mostly done targeted recoveries rather than trying to recover

 > entire trees.

I have the same set up, and same feedback.

I had the same setup, but got tired of how rdiff-backup behaved when a backup
was interrupted (very lengthy cleanup process). Since then I've switched to an
rsync setup that does essentially the same thing as rdiff-backup (uses
hardlinks between multiple copies).

The only downside I'm aware of is that my rsync backups aren't guaranteed to be
"consistent" (for however consistent a backup of an active FS would be...).
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net