Greg Stark <st...@mit.edu> writes:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Florian Pflug <f...@phlo.org> wrote:
>> Is there any way we can change the checksum algorithm in 9.4
>> *without* breaking pg_upgrade?

> Personally I think we're going to need a solution for page format
> changes someday eventually....

> What advantages are we postponing now to avoid it?

Um, other than the ability to make a release?

We aren't going to hold up 9.3 until that particular bit of pie in the
sky lands.  Indeed I don't expect to see it available in the next couple
years either.  When we were looking at that seriously, two or three
years ago, arbitrary page format changes looked *hard*.

The idea of bumping the page format version number to signal a checksum
algorithm change might work though.