--On 25. April 2013 23:19:14 -0400 Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

I think I've heard of scripts grepping the output of pg_controldata for
this that or the other.  Any rewording of the labels would break that.
While I'm not opposed to improving the labels, I would vote against your
second, abbreviated scheme because it would make things ambiguous for
simple grep-based scripts.

I had exactly this kind of discussion just a few days ago with a customer, who wants to use the output in their scripts and was a little worried about the compatibility between major versions.

I don't think we do guarantuee any output format compatibility between corresponding symbols in major versions explicitly, but given that pg_controldata seems to have a broad use case here, we should maybe document it somewhere wether to discourage or encourage people to rely on it?

--
Thanks

        Bernd