On 26.04.2013 19:05, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 26 April 2013 16:38, Robert Haas<robertmh...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Simon Riggs<si...@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:
Given that I was describing how we might implement Heikki's
suggestion, I find this comment confusing.

Please explain.

Heikki's suggestion is simply to have a mode that stops as soon as
consistency is reached.  The server already knows (from the backup
label) what the consistency point is, so there's no need to add a
restore point or anything else to the WAL stream to implement what
he's talking about.

Using restore points just puts into use the facility that is already
best practice to use, put there for just this kind of situation.
I guess you could do recovery_target_name = '$consistent'

Doing it the other way means you need to add a new kind of recovery
target to the API just for this.
recovery_target_immediate = on

Sounds good to me.

Actually, from a usability point of view I think would be nice to have just one setting, "recovery_target". It's already somewhat confusing to have recovery_target_xid, recovery_target_time, and recovery_target_name, which are mutually exclusive, and recovery_target_inclusive which is just a modifier for the others. Maybe something like:

recovery_target = 'xid 1234'
recovery_target = 'xid 1234 exclusive'
recovery_target = '2013-04-22 12:33'
recovery_target = '2013-04-22 12:33 exclusive'
recovery_target = 'consistent'
recovery_target = 'name: daily backup'

- Heikki