On 5/10/13 1:06 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:
Of course the paranoid DBA could turn off restart_after_crash and do a manual
investigation on every crash, but in that case the database would refuse to
restart even in the case where it perfectly clear that all the following WAL
belongs to the recycled file and not the current file.

Perhaps we should also allow for zeroing out WAL files before reuse (or just
disable reuse). I know there's a performance hit there, but the reuse idea
happened before we had bgWriter. Theoretically the overhead creating a new file
would always fall to bgWriter and therefore not be a big deal.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       j...@nasby.net