On 2013-05-13 08:45:41 -0500, Jon Nelson wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> >> For filesystems like btrfs, re-using a WAL file is suboptimal to
> >> simply creating a new one and removing the old one when it's no longer
> >> required. Using fallocate (or posix_fallocate) (I have a patch for
> >> that!) to create a new one is - by my tests - 28 times faster than the
> >> currently-used method.
> >
> > I don't think the comparison between just fallocate()ing and what we
> > currently do is fair. fallocate() doesn't guarantee that the file is the
> > same size after a crash, so you would still need an fsync() or we
> > couldn't use fdatasync() anymore. And I'd guess the benefits aren't all
> > that big anymore in that case?
>
> fallocate (16MB) + fsync is still almost certainly faster than
> write+write+write... + fsync.
> The test I performed at the time did exactly that .. posix_fallocate +
> pg_fsync.
Sure, the initial file creation will be faster. But are the actual
individual wal writes (small, frequently fdatasync()ed) still faster?
That's the critical path currently.
Whether it is pretty much depends on how the filesystem manages
allocated but not initialized blocks...

Greetings,

Andres Freund