On 7 June 2013 20:16, Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2013-06-07 20:10:55 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

>> > The biggest problem I see with that is that if a snapshot can be older than
>> > 2 billion XIDs, it must be possible to store XIDs on the same page that are
>> > more than 2 billion XIDs apart. All the discussed schemes where we store
>> > the
>> > epoch at the page level, either explicitly or derived from the LSN, rely on
>> > the fact that it's not currently necessary to do that. Currently, when one
>> > XID on a page is older than 2 billion XIDs, that old XID can always be
>> > replaced with FrozenXid, because there cannot be a snapshot old enough to
>> > not see it.
>>
>> It does seem that there are two problems: avoiding freezing AND long
>> running queries
>>
>> The long running query problem hasn't ever been looked at, it seems,
>> until here and now.
>
> I'd say that's because it's prohibitive to run so long transactions
> anyway since it causes too much unremovable bloat. 2bio transactions
> really is a quite a bit, I don't think it's a relevant restriction. Yet.
>
> Let's discuss it if we have solved the other problems ;)

Let me say that I think that problem is solvable also.

At the moment we allow all visible tuple versions to be linked
together, so that the last visible and latest update are linked by a
chain. If we break that assumption and say that we will never follow
an update chain from a snapshot in the distant past, then we can
remove intermediate dead rows. We currently regard those as recently
dead, but that just requires some extra thought. We still keep all
*visible* tuple versions, we just don't bother to keep all the
intermediate ones as well.

Perhaps another day, but one day.