On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:43:10PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Bloat
> ------
>
> Table bloat. Table bloat has been a major issue with PostgreSQL
> users/admins for years. Anyone care to explain to me in a simple
> paragraph how to find out if you have table or index bloat issues in
> your database and what to do about it? (Maybe we need
> "pg_catalog.pg_index_bloat" and "pg_catalog.pg_table_bloat" views
> including FILLFACTOR correction?)
>
> I think I'll draft up a patch to add exactly that.

Nice list btw. I monitor this by using the excellent check_progres
nagios plugin, which has stuff to check for things like this.

Which makes me think that it might be possible to add some other checks
like this, in for example pg_ctl.  A big fat warning 'your data may be
eaten' might get noticed at startup.

(A minor annoyance is that in recent version of PostgreSQL you have to
give check_postgres admin rights, otherwise it can't warn you about
"idle in transaction" problems.)

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <klep...@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer