On 5/28/13 10:00 PM, Jon Nelson wrote:

A note: The attached test program uses *fsync* instead of *fdatasync*
after calling fallocate (or writing out 16MB of zeroes), per an
earlier suggestion.

I tried this out on the RHEL5 platform I'm worried about now. There's something weird about the test program there. If I run it once it shows posix_fallocate running much faster:

without posix_fallocate: 1 open/close iterations, 1 rewrite in 23.0169s
with posix_fallocate: 1 open/close iterations, 1 rewrite in 11.1904s

The problem is that I'm seeing the gap between the two get smaller the more iterations I run, which makes me wonder if the test is completely fair:

without posix_fallocate: 2 open/close iterations, 2 rewrite in 34.3281s
with posix_fallocate: 2 open/close iterations, 2 rewrite in 23.1798s

without posix_fallocate: 3 open/close iterations, 3 rewrite in 44.4791s
with posix_fallocate: 3 open/close iterations, 3 rewrite in 33.6102s

without posix_fallocate: 5 open/close iterations, 5 rewrite in 65.6244s
with posix_fallocate: 5 open/close iterations, 5 rewrite in 61.0991s

You didn't show any output from the latest program on your system, so I'm not sure how it behaved for you here.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD