I found some time and I think I am up to speed now. I finally figured out
how to add new operator strategies and made a little test operator for
myself.

It seems pretty clear that assuming '+' and '-' are addition and
subtraction is a bad idea. I don't think it would be too tricky to add
support for new operator strategies. Andrew Gierth suggested calling these
new strategies "offset -" and "offset +", which I think describes it pretty
well. I assigned the operator itself to be "@+" and "@-" but that can
obviously be changed. If this sounds like a good path to you guys, I will
go ahead and implement the operators for the appropriate types. Please let
me know if I am misunderstanding something - I am still figuring stuff out
:)

Aside from the opclass stuff, there were some other important issues
mentioned with the original RANGE support. I think I will address those
after the opclass stuff is done.

Thanks!
Ian