Andres Freund <and...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> I don't like going in this direction at all:
> 1) it breaks pg_upgrade. Which means many of the bigger users won't be
>    able to migrate to this and most packagers would carry the old
>    segsize around forever.
>    Even if we could get pg_upgrade to split files accordingly link mode
>    would still be broken.

TBH, I think *any* rearrangement of the on-disk storage files is going
to be rejected.  It seems very unlikely to me that you could demonstrate
a checkpoint performance improvement from that that occurs consistently
across different platforms and filesystems.  And as Andres points out,
the pain associated with it is going to be bad enough that a very high
bar will be set on whether you've proven the change is worthwhile.