On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 03:21:09PM +0900, kenji uno wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Ok, ok thanks.
>
> My problem is to shorten time of searching full text stored in text field.

Ok, your explanation of your problem really helps, thanks.

> However the following query is very slow! 9,400ms. It uses "Seq Scan" lol.
>
>  SELECT * FROM xxx
>  WHERE TRUE
>  AND (ddstrike(title,'ABC') OR (filter(fts1body) @> filter('AAA') AND
> ddstrike(fts1body,'AAA')))

Well, in this case it still needs to scan the whole table to search the
title obviously.

> Apply filter to "title" column too.
>
> The best query result costs 3,700ms. 18 hits. It surely uses expected query
> plan: two "Bitmap index scan" -> "Bitmap Or" -> "Bitmap Heap Scan".
>
>  SELECT * FROM xxx
>  WHERE TRUE
>  AND (filter(title) @> filter('ABC') OR filter(fts1body) @> filter('ABC'))
>  AND (ddstrike(title,'ABC') OR ddstrike(fts1body,'ABC'))

It would be useful to see the "explain analyze" of this query. Note that
looking up 11,000 entries in an index could very take as long as
sequentially scanning the whole table.

> However, I may think good idea which uses inverted index.

I think your above idea is a good one, but you need to work out why
your above implementation didn't work out and why you think
implementing it directly will be better.

> So I want to know...
> - the actual work of extractQuery and consistant.
> - the detail interface of extractValue/extractQuery/consistant. It may help
> understanding.
>
> I looked at contrib/_int.sql of PG8.2.22

Whoa, very old version, please look at something newer. For example the
RECHECK flag below is no longer used.

> There are definitions of int[] GIN support.
> ---
> CREATE OPERATOR CLASS gin__int_ops
> FOR TYPE _int4 USING gin
> AS
>       OPERATOR        3       &&,
>       OPERATOR        6       = (anyarray, anyarray)  RECHECK,
>       OPERATOR        7       @>,
>       OPERATOR        8       <@      RECHECK,
>       OPERATOR        13      @,
>       OPERATOR        14      ~       RECHECK,
>       OPERATOR        20      @@ (_int4, query_int),
>       FUNCTION        1       btint4cmp (int4, int4),
>       FUNCTION        2       ginarrayextract (anyarray, internal),
>       FUNCTION        3       ginint4_queryextract (internal, internal, int2),
>       FUNCTION        4       ginint4_consistent (internal, int2, internal),
>       STORAGE         int4;
> ---
> Both ginint4_queryextract and ginint4_consistent assume that "query" argument
> is a PGARRAY (ArrayType *). Where is it decided? Is it array of STORAGE type?

Remember the above uses operators which are what is indexed. The left
hand side is the array.  The right hand side is whatever is defined.
intarray defines the operator &&(int[], int[]) hence the "query"
argument is int[] in that case. Apparently intarray accepts many kinds
of queries, it is the operators that define what actually happens.

> Both extractQuery(ginint4_queryextract) and extractValue(ginarrayextract)
> seem to return similar value type. They return Datum array of int4. Is it
> array of STORAGE type?

From my reading of
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/gin-extensibility.html, yes
they must return an array of the STORAGE type. The last paragraph on
that page says:

    The actual data types of the various Datum values mentioned above
    vary depending on the operator class.  The item values passed to
    extractValue are always of the operator class's input type, and all
    key values must be of the class's STORAGE type.  The type of the
    query argument passed to extractQuery and consistent is whatever is
    specified as the right-hand input type of the class member operator
    identified by the strategy number.  This need not be the same as
    the item type, so long as key values of the correct type can be
    extracted from it.

> I want to understand the overview of GIN extension.

Please let us know what the documentation is missing so it can be
improved.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <klep...@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer