* Robert Haas (robertmh...@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Stephen Frost <sfr...@snowman.net> wrote:
> > Yes, one of the issues with the existing system is that you can't
> > specify a default to be applied to new roles.  Also, there are
> > parameters which are not per-role yet which it probably makes sense to
> > be in the database and we'd need a way to deal with that.  Although, at
> > the same time, considering it role based does make for a nice
> > distinction.  Unfortunately, those clammoring for this will argue that
> > it wouldn't replace adminpack and that they couldn't use it to modify
> > their /etc/network/interfaces file, which is the obvious next step to
> > all of this.
>
> This is a straw-man.

It was intended to be and I wasn't particularly expecting a response to
the sarcasm, at the same time..

> Likening this to the
> feature being proposed is silly.  What is being asked for here is the
> ability to easily modify system-wide settings from the SQL prompt,
> just as today you can modify settings per-user or per-database.

/etc/network/interfaces would be considered part of the "system" by
some.. :)  PG isn't an OS, yet..

> That's not the same thing as rewriting the entire system
> configuration.

And here you're using the *other* meaning of system, no?  Glad there
won't be any confusion here! ;)  (yes, I'm kidding..).

        Thanks,

                Stephen