On 10/10/2013 12:45 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 12:39:04PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
On 10/10/2013 12:28 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
How do we handle the Python dependency, or is this all to be done in
some other language?  I certainly am not ready to take on that job.

Without considering any wider question here, let me just note this:

Anything that can be done in this area in Python should be doable in
Perl fairly simply. I don't think we should be adding any Python
dependencies. For good or ill Perl has been used for pretty much all
our complex scripting (pgindent, MSVC build system etc.)
Yes, but this is a run-time requirement, not build-time, and we have not
used Perl in that regard.

Nor Python. If we want to avoid added dependencies, we would need to use C.

cheers

andrew