On 2013-10-12 09:04:55 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Frankly, I think we'd help 1000 times more users of we enabled a few wal
> writers by default and jumped the wal level. Mainly so they could run one
> off base backup. That's used by orders of magnitude more users than XA.

Yes, I've thought about that several times as well. I think it might
actually not be too hard to allow increasing the WAL level dynamically
similar to what we do with full_page_writes. If we then would allow
starting wal senders with a lower wal_level we would get there without
breaking older installations which rely on TRUNCATE && COPY
optimizations et al.

Greetings,

Andres Freund