On 10/09/2013 11:06 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

The assumption that each connection won't use lots of work_mem is also false, I think, especially in these days of connection poolers.

Andres has just been politely pointing out to me that my knowledge of memory allocators is a little out of date (i.e. by a decade or two), and that this memory is not in fact likely to be held for a long time, at least on most modern systems. That undermines completely my reasoning above.

Given that, it probably makes sense for us to be rather more liberal in setting work_mem that I was suggesting.

cheers

andrew