On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM, Noah Misch <n...@leadboat.com> wrote:

> Adding new fields to PgStat_StatTabEntry imposes a substantial distributed
> cost, because every database stats file write-out grows by the width of those
> fields times the number of tables in the database.  Associated costs have been
> and continue to be a pain point with large table counts:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1718942738eb65c8407fcd864883f...@fuzzy.cz
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/52268887.9010...@uptime.jp
>
> In that light, I can't justify widening PgStat_StatTabEntry by 9.5% for this.
> I recommend satisfying this monitoring need in your application by creating a
> cluster_table wrapper function that issues CLUSTER and then updates statistics
> you store in an ordinary table.  Issue all routine CLUSTERs by way of that
> wrapper function.  A backend change that would help here is to extend event
> triggers to cover the CLUSTER command, permitting you to inject monitoring
> after plain CLUSTER and dispense with the wrapper.

I unfortunately have to agree with this, but I think it points to the
need for further work on the pgstat infrastructure.  We used to have
one file; now we have one per database.  That's better for people with
lots of databases, but many people just have one big database.  We
need a solution here that relieves the pain for those people.

(I can't help thinking that the root of the problem here is that we're
rewriting the whole file, and that any solution that doesn't somehow
facilitate updates of individual records will be only a small
improvement.)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company