On 11/24/2013 09:42 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:

It looks to me that this idea is horribly physical and seems likely to
be badly misused.

I don't see any way to use these that won't be quite ugly. There is no
trigger descriptor, so no way of writing a constraint sensibly, since
you'll need to make a constraint check for every commit by every user,
not just ones that touch the data you care about. And security goes
straight out the window, so these can't be used in normal application
development.

Plus we can already do this with RegisterXactCallback() as Alvaro
points out - so if its a hack we're after, then we already have it, no
patch required.

"Write a hack" is not normally advice I like to give or receive.

We're after a feature that at least one other RDBMS that we know of suports.

But leaving that aside, what are the restrictions, if any, in what can be done in such a callback? Are we allowed to alter the database? If so, what happens to FK constraints? Can we raise an ERROR exception?

cheers

andrew