I have to say that during beta testing I ALWAYS do an initdb and a reload
just to make sure the pg_dumpall and pg_restore stuff works right.  Plus
to make sure problems that might only pop up with a new initdb are found
as well.  I probably "burn it to the ground" several times on a single
beta just to test different data sets and I prefer a clean database when
doing that so I'm sure the problems I see are from just that one dataset.

So, Requiring an initdb for every beta wouldn't bother me one bit.  To me
you test a beta by migrating to it just like it was a production version,
and that means a new build from the ground up, initdb and all.

http://archives.postgresql.org