On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> But the other usages seem to be in assorted utilities, which
> will need to do it right for themselves.  initdb.c's walkdir() seems to
> have it right and might be a reasonable model to follow.  Or maybe we
> should invent a frontend-friendly version of ReadDir() rather than
> duplicating all the error checking code in ten-and-counting places?

If there's enough uniformity in all of those places to make that
feasible, it certainly seems wise to do it that way.  I don't know if
that's the case, though - e.g. maybe some callers want to exit and
others do not.  pg_resetxlog wants to exit; pg_archivecleanup and
pg_standby most likely want to print an error and carry on.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company