Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
>> You've got that backwards.  We do have the luxury of rejecting new
>> features until people are generally satisfied that the basic design is
>> right.  There's no overlord decreeing that this must be in 9.4.
>
> I strongly agree.  PostgreSQL has succeeded because we try not to do
> things at all until we're sure we know how to do them right.

I still agree to the principle, or I wouldn't even try. Not in details,
because the current design passed all the usual criteria a year ago.

  http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/6466.1354817...@sss.pgh.pa.us

> I can certainly understand Dimitri's frustration, in that he's written
> several versions of this patch and none have been accepted.  But what

The design was accepted, last year. It took a year to review it, which
is fair enough, only to find new problems again. Circles at their best.
You just said on another thread that perfect is the enemy of good. What
about applying the same line of thoughts to this patch?

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine