On 14/01/14 22:23, Dave Chinner wrote:
On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:40:38AM -0800, Kevin Grittner wrote:
To quantify that, in a production setting we were seeing pauses of
up to two minutes with shared_buffers set to 8GB and default dirty
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
page settings for Linux, on a machine with 256GB RAM and 512MB
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There's your problem.

By default, background writeback doesn't start until 10% of memory
is dirtied, and on your machine that's 25GB of RAM. That's way to
high for your workload.

It appears to me that we are seeing large memory machines much more
commonly in data centers - a couple of years ago 256GB RAM was only
seen in supercomputers. Hence machines of this size are moving from
"tweaking settings for supercomputers is OK" class to "tweaking
settings for enterprise servers is not OK"....

Perhaps what we need to do is deprecate dirty_ratio and
dirty_background_ratio as the default values as move to the byte
based values as the defaults and cap them appropriately.  e.g.
10/20% of RAM for small machines down to a couple of GB for large
machines....

<whisper>  Perhaps the kernel needs a dirty-amount control measured
in time units rather than pages (it being up to the kernel to
measure the achievable write rate)...
--
Cheers,
   Jeremy