On 01/26/2014 12:08 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
I've often wanted to be able to run "make check" and just have it run
the small number of tests I am interested in. Here's a tiny patch along
those lines. It creates a new targe which I have called "check-with" for
want of a better name. And with it I can do:
     $ make check-with TESTS="json jsonb"
The vast majority of the regression tests have interdependencies, which
would make any feature along these lines fairly useless IME.  (And no,
I'm not interested in converting the tests to a no-dependencies style.)

Also, the tests themselves don't take that long, especially in parallel
mode.  If you need to speed up repeated testing, it's more profitable to
avoid the install/initdb overhead of a "make check".  I use a small
script that just reinstalls the postgres executable and does "make
installcheck-parallel" when I'm doing iterative development.

I have something similar, and prodded by your email I've just improved it a bit ;-) But it doesn't work so well if you're changing the catalog, as you need an initdb anyway. And there are are some cases (the one I happen to be working on being one of them) where the tests have no prior dependencies.

cheers

andrew