On 28 January 2014 20:14, Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 01/28/2014 12:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Josh Berkus <j...@agliodbs.com> writes:
>>> For example, I would really like to GRANT an unpriv user access to the
>>> WAL columns in pg_stat_replication so that I can monitor replication
>>> delay without granting superuser permissions.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, why is that superuser-only at all?  AFAICS the
>> hidden columns are just some LSNs ... what is the security argument
>> for hiding them in the first place?
>
> Beats me, I can't find any discussion on it at all.

No specific reason that I can recall but replication is heavily
protected by layers of security.

pg_stat_replication is a join with pg_stat_activity, so some of the
info is open, some closed. It seems possible to relax that.

Presumably the current patch is returned with feedback? Or can we fix
these problems by inventing a new user aspect called MONITOR (similar
to REPLICATION)? We can grant application_name and replication details
to that.