Tom Lane wrote:

> On the
> other hand, we evidently have got precious little other buildfarm
> coverage of the convert() family of functions, so maybe removing
> this test altogether wouldn't be the best thing either.

We do have precious little testing on encodings and conversions, yes.
The problem is how to test these things without having the tests fail
when any particular encoding is not installed in the test system.

Maybe we can use the Perl test rig for this too: Peter said that if a
test requires something not installed, the test is skipped without
causing a failure.  It seems to me that we could take advantage that so
that each member tests whatever involves only the encodings it has
installed; while each individual member would skip a large percentage of
tests, the buildfarm as a whole would be testing a sizable portion, if
not all of it.