* Kohei KaiGai (kai...@kaigai.gr.jp) wrote:
> As you mentioned, it is a headache for packagers, and does not make
> sense for us if packager disabled the feature that requires proprietary
> drivers.

No, I disagree with that.  I don't expect this use-case to be very
common to begin with and telling individuals that they have to compile
it themselves is certainly not out of the question.

> In fact, Fedora / RHEL does not admit to distribute software
> under the none open source software license.

I'm pretty confident you can get RPMs for those distributions.

> Obviously, nvidia's cuda
> is a library being distributed under the proprietary license, thus out of
> the scope for the Linux distributors.

This also doesn't make any sense to me- certainly the CUDA libraries are
available under Debian derivatives, along with open-source wrappers for
them like pycuda.

> It also leads them to turn off the
> feature that shall be linked with proprietary drivers.
> All we can do is to implement these features as extension, then offer
> an option for users to use or not to use.

No, we can tell individuals who want it that they're going to need to
build with support for it.  We don't offer OpenSSL as an extension (I
certainly wish we did- and had a way to replace it w/ GNUTLS or one of
the better licensed options).

> What I'd like to implement is GPU acceleration that can perform on
> regular tables, not only foreign tables. Also, regarding to the backlog
> in the developer meeting, pluggable executor node is also required
> feature by PG-XC folks to work their project with upstream.
> I think custom-scan feature is capable to host these requirement,
> and does not prevent enhancement FDW features.

I think you're conflating things again- while it might be possible to
use CustomScan to implement FDW join-pushdown or FDW aggregate-pushdown,
*I* don't think it's the right approach.  Regarding the PG-XC
requirement, I expect they're looking for FDW join/aggregate-pushdown
and also see that it *could* be done w/ CustomScan.

We could punt on the whole thing and drop in hooks which could be used
to replace everything done from the planner through to the executor and
then anyone *could* implement any of the above, and parallel query too.
That doesn't make it the right approach.

        Thanks,

                Stephen