On 04/01/2014 05:42 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
On 4/1/14, 3:07 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
What are cases where things would break if we changed the precedence of -> and ->>? ISTM that's what we really should do if there's some way to manage the backwards compatibility...

There is no provision for setting the precedence of any operators. The precedence is set in the grammar, and these all have the same precedence. What you're suggesting would a cure far worse than the disease, I strongly suspect. You just need to learn to live with this.

What really bugs me about the example is that <> has a different precedence from =, which seems more than odd. The example works just fine if you use = instead of <>. But I guess it's been that way for a very long time and there's not much to be done about it.

I'm confused... first you say there's no precedence and then you're saying that there is? Which is it?

No I didn't say there was no precedence. Please reread what I said. I said there was no provision for setting the precedence. There is precedence of course, but it's hardcoded.

ISTM that most languages set the priority of de-referencing operators to be quite high, so I don't see how that would be a disaster?

The way the grammar works ALL the composite operators have the same precedence. It has no notion that -> is a dereference operator. You're suggesting something without actually looking at the code. Look at gram.y and scan.l and you might understand.

Of course, changing the precedence of = and <> certainly would be a disaster; I'm not suggesting that.

There is arguably nothing wrong with the precedence of -> and ->>. The reason for the problem Greg reported is that <> probably has its precedence set too low. And no, we can't change it.

cheers

andrew