On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 04:07:25PM +0200, Palle Girgensohn wrote:

> >> If mmap needs to perform well in the kernel, I'd like to know of someone
> >> with FreeBSD kernel knowledge who is interested in working with mmap
> >> perfocmance. If mmap is indeed the cuplrit, I've just tested 9.2.8 vs
> >> 9.3.4, I nevere isolated the mmap patch, although I believe Francois did
> >> just that with similar results.
> >
> > I did test the 9.3 -devel branch before and after the SysV shared memory =>
> > mmap commit. The performance degradation was visible.
> >
> > I recently ran a few benchmarks of PostgreSQL 9.3 with different operating
> > systems
> > including DragonFly 3.6 and FreeBSD 10. You may be interested in the
> > results:
> >
> > http://lists.dragonflybsd.org/pipermail/users/2014-March/128216.html
> >

> Interesting, indeed. The fixes to dragonfly where made quite recently, in
> 3.2, right?

The most important fixes occured in the 3.1 development version, around
September 2012.

There was definitely more than an isolated patch; the new scheduler was only
part of the performance improvements.
I'm afraid none of the commits would be applicable as-is to FreeBSD 10.x; the
DragonFly kernel is vastly different in locking, threading and VM management.

The FreeBSD folks should know what to do though; I collected performance
counter data during the last benchmark run and sent it to adrian@.
It was also discussed on freebsd-performance; the thread begins here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-performance/2014-March/004770.html

--
Francois Tigeot