On 04/30/2014 03:03 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

On 04/30/2014 11:58 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

On 04/30/2014 06:31 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

Andrew: you have a cygwin installation, don't you? Could you test if
"pg_ctl start" works when the binaries are installed to a path that
contains both a space and an @ sign, like "C:\white
space\at@sign\install". I suspect it doesn't, but the attached patch
fixes it.

I'll see what I can do.

I tried git master like this:

   foo\ bar/a\@b/bin/initdb.exe data
   foo\ bar/a\@b/bin/pg_ctl.exe -D data/ -w start

and didn't encounter a problem.

Platform is Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, with latest 32 bit Cygwin.

[ ... ] It looks like possibly the only time this will actually matter
on Cygwin  is when starting a service. Just running "pg_ctl start"
from the command line works fine. But starting the service doesn't.

I'll try the patch when I get a chance.

No, there is something horribly wrong with the Cygwin service code. I don't have time now to sort it out. I suspect it's been broken for a very long time. I'm not even sure why we have it. Cygwin contains a wrapper (cygrunsrv) for setting up cygwin executables as services, so this is probably worse than redundant.

cheers

andrew