Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> writes:
> I have been working on making the DocBook XML output valid.  The first
> part was bb4eefe7bf518e42c73797ea37b033a5d8a8e70a, I now have the rest
> ready, but I'll spare you the mostly mechanical 200kB patch for now.  In
> addition, I'd like to add the attached patch with an xmllint call to
> make sure things stay valid.

> But we don't have xmllint installed on borka, where we build the
> releases.  Could someone please install it?

-1.  Doesn't this break "make man" for *any* hacker who doesn't have
xmllint installed?

Please change the patch so that it runs xmllint if available, rather
than turning it into a de facto requirement for anybody who works on
documentation.  Or if you think you can pass a vote to require it,
I'd suggest that the patch had better include documentation additions
listing this as a required build tool.

(The subtext here is that borka is absolutely not an acceptable place
to encounter documentation build failures.  By the time we're at that
stage of the release cycle, I don't really care what xmllint might
have to say; there isn't going to be time to make it happy.)