Peter Eisentraut <pete...@gmx.net> writes:
> On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 22:51 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> -1.  Doesn't this break "make man" for *any* hacker who doesn't have
>> xmllint installed?

> The intention is that we enforce that the documentation is correctly
> formatted.  Enforcing that only when the required tool is installed is
> the same as not enforcing it and annoying those who happen to have the
> tool installed.

Okay, but if that's the intent I suggest that the check needs to happen
somewhere more prominent than in nondefault build targets.  Personally,
I run "make man" about once a release cycle, if that often; and I'm not
sure I've ever built any of the other targets modified in this patch.
If you want to enforce correctness then I think you should put the xmllint
call into the "make all" path, which would render all of the targets
touched here rather redundant.

Also, in the vein of "is this a full-scale build requirement or not",
why is the pathname of xmllint just hard-coded into the makefile and
not something that's checked for by configure?