Re: Jeff Janes 2014-05-05
<CAMkU=1yo97bcGR-z6wg-OJpHKfEcaaaS=x1n7xygxcuakv5...@mail.gmail.com>
> I've personally never had a need to set the search_path to a system schema,
> and I guess I was implicitly modelling this on what is returned by \dn, not
> by \dnS.   I wouldn't object much to including them; that would be better
> than not having any completion.  I just don't see much point.
>
> And now playing a bit with the system ones, I think it would be more
> confusing to offer them.  pg_catalog and pg_temp_<appropriate> always get
> searched, whether you put them in the search_path or not.

Imho the system schemas should be included, because they don't hurt.
If you do tab completion, you'll usually enter a few chars and hit
<tab>, so you won't get confused by pg_catalog and information_schema
just because you won't see them. Also, it makes sense to explicitely
put pg_catalog at the beginning or the end of search_path, so tab
completion should support that.

I would opt to exclude pg_temp_*, though - these don't serve any
purpose SQL-wise and the name changes all the time anyway.

Christoph
--
c...@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/