On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 00:10, Neil Conway wrote:

> Well, I'm not happy with defining _GNU_SOURCE, but I don't agree that
> just saying "it's a Perl problem" is a good answer. That may well be
> the case, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people are
> running 5.8.0, and will probably continue to do so during the 7.3
> lifecycle[1]. We work around braindamage on other systems -- strictely
> speaking, we could say "the snprintf() bug with 64-bit Solaris is a
> Sun libc problem", for example.

If you want to try it on my UnixWare 7.1.3 box, I can create an account
for you.  It has PERL 5.8.0 and a NON-gcc compiler.  PL/Perl from 7.2.2
works fine with it.

I don't have the time, but can give anyone that wants it an account.

(Peter Eisentraut already has such, and I'll create one for any that
want one).

The box is a 1.7Ghz P-4, and is on a 768K/768K DSL line.

LER
> [...]
>
> Neil
>
> [1] Note that I'm assuming that PL/Perl is broken with 5.8.0 on
> systems other than mine, and another person's on IRC who reported the
> problem to begin with. Can other people confirm the problem?
>
> --
> Neil Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> || PGP Key ID: DB3C29FC
>
> Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration:
>   Platform:
>     osname=linux, osvers=2.4.19, archname=i386-linux-thread-multi
>     uname='linux cyberhq 2.4.19 #1 smp sun aug 4 11:30:45 pdt 2002 i686 unknown
>
>                                                      unknown gnulinux '
>     config_args='-Dusethreads -Duselargefiles -Dccflags=-DDEBIAN -Dcccdlflags=-f
>
>                                                      PIC -Darchname=i386-linux
>-Dprefix=/usr -Dprivlib=/usr/share/perl/5.8.0 -Darchli
>
>                           b=/usr/lib/perl/5.8.0 -Dvendorprefix=/usr
>-Dvendorlib=/usr/share/perl5 -Dvendora
>
>           rch=/usr/lib/perl5 -Dsiteprefix=/usr/local
>-Dsitelib=/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.0
>
>           -Dsitearch=/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.0 -Dman1dir=/usr/share/man/man1
>-Dman3dir=/u       !

>                                                   sr/share/man/man3 -Dman1ext=1
>-Dman3ext=3perl -Dpager=/usr/bin/sensible-pager -U
>
>                       afs -Ud_csh -Uusesfio -Uusenm -Duseshrplib
>-Dlibperl=libperl.so.5.8.0 -Dd_dosuid
>
>           -des'
>     hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
>     usethreads=define use5005threads=undef useithreads=define usemultiplicity=de
>
>                                                      fine
>     useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
>     use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
>     usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
>   Compiler:
>     cc='cc', ccflags ='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBIAN -fno-strict-aliasing
>
>                                                      -I/usr/local/include
>-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
>     optimize='-O3',
>     cppflags='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBIAN -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/lo
>
>                                                      cal/include'
>     ccversion='', gccversion='2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)', gccosandvers
>
>                                                      =''
>     intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
>     d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
>     ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize
>
>                                                      =8
>     alignbytes=4, prototype=define
>   Linker and Libraries:
>     ld='cc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib'
>     libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib
>     libs=-lgdbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt
>     perllibs=-ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt
>     libc=/lib/libc-2.2.5.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so.5.8.0
>     gnulibc_version='2.2.5'
>   Dynamic Linking:
>     dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-rdynamic'
>     cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-shared -L/usr/local/lib'
>

> Characteristics of this binary (from libperl):
>   Compile-time options: MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_

Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]